Monday, July 29, 2013

Like Falling by Jaden Wilkes

Like Falling by Jaden Wilkes 2.5 STARS


Like Falling (Surfacing, #1)Synopsis:Sarah Miller is known as a dreamer in her stifling Mennonite community, but she's hiding something from them all. A simple wish to avoid the strictly enforced life path expected of her...early marriage, babies, and work on the farm.
She wants more, so much more. Education, travel, love...sex...
A chance at university hundreds of miles away is too much to pass up, so she follows her best friend Naomi and decides to take her future into her own hands.
She had no idea this decision would change her in ways she never imagined, will the one person she falls in love with hold her back from everything she ever wanted?


* I received an ARC from netgalley for an honest review

**this novel is  contains depictions of graphic sex, drug use and underage drinking. This is not a stand alone, it is a cliffhanger, the first of three books


Overall: I struggled with rating this one. There are some things that I really liked about this book, and a good amount of stuff I hated. The cliffhanger isnt terrible, (im not dying to read the next) but leaves a little something to be desired. As much as I like Naomi, Nic, and Tyr (and Eric) I actually dont care for Sarah the main character, which is problematic. I also struggled freqeuntly with the constant reminder that Sarah is from a Mennonite society. I almost felt like the author put too many issues in this book. Theres drug abuse and addiction, alcoholism, religion, teacher/student complex, sexual deviancy, racism, money problems...I mean, essentially, the author took every problem and stuffed into one book. Admittedly, these issues are frequently tied to one another, but I just wasnt a huge fan of the authors style in writing this and depicting these issues. It felt quite contrived at times, and awkward (when it shouldnt have been) the dialogue at times felt all wrong too. The things I did like...I liked that the love story grew over time, that each person made mistakes, that each character had new and learning experiences, which felt raw and genuine. This isnt a feel good romance novel but the series could be good. Ill just have to wait for the next book to make that call for sure. 


Cover: Pretty and alluring
Rating: R
Overall: Genrally an interesting read.
Characters: Sarah, Tyr, Adam. Nic and Naomi
Page Turner: Depends on the reader...
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: If you liked Metamorphosis yes 
Book Boyfriend:  Tyr.
Genre: New Adult
Sex Scenes:  Yes, lots.
Setting: A Vancouver University


Alex Meraz as Tyr
Plot: Overall I thought the plot was enticing, I was intrigued by this plot, but unfortunately, as I stated above I think it missed the mark a little. I found the general ideas in pieces to be interesting, and I liked each sub-part, but as a book in full, I just couldnt get into it. Half the book felt contrived, forced and awkward, I didnt feel anything for the character. I was confused by the naivety and innocence and the quick switch that Sarah seemed to go through. I think that pieces of this book could have been cut, and I would have had the same effect. I did not like the Adam situation, the entire time I read it, I felt creeped out. (unlik slammed...) I didnt FEEL anything for Adam except that I wanted him to go away. I did really enjoy Tyr and Sarahs relationship though and as that was explored I got more interested in the novel, but by the end of the book, I was disappointed. After so much growth it seemed like the characters were dependent, jealous, and immature. I ended up giving the book 2.5 Stars because I ended up liking the last 20-30 percent of the book (though like might be too strong) I was starting to like the relationship and the direction, as well as the possible issues that arise from Sarahs family, and Eric. 

Characters:

Aly Michalka as Sarah
Sarah Miller- I start out liking Sarah, though I feel no connection to her. But as I continued down her journey I became annoyed. For someone with a lack of experience and exposure to the world, completely naive and new, I understood that she was awkward, embarrassed easily, and not comfortable in her own skin. HOWEVER, those things dont override common sense. The author made it seem like Sarah was able to pick up on the social cues, and meld into the norm, she was supposed to be observant and intelligent, yet she didnt know her best friend was a lesbian (okay fine, I get that, Mennonites dont quite agree with the life, and could be hidden) BUT seriously the Adam thing, KILLED this story for me. Her stupidity and willingness to go along with his way of doing things was EXTREMELY irritating. Perhaps as an outsider I had more perspective, sure, but honestly, I just hated this story line. But I started to like Sarah again when she started to get to know Tyr and Eric. Her relationship and openness with Naomi was also interesting. But again, ones willingness to try new things and throw caution to the wind, without repercussions could only go on so long. She drank a lot her first time ever, but didnt get sick or feel sick the next night REALLY?! Its the simple things that irritated me. 
James Franco as Adam 

Tyr I loved. I think his role in this book actually saved it. I only liked it because of him. His loyalty and devotion were so beautiful. And relate able. The idea that family comes before a woman makes total sense to me. I didnt like his dependence and jealousy that appeared out of nowhere, but I looked pass it, because I felt like he was overall such a great guy. Down to Earth, kind, a good friend, and reliable. 

Naomi- I liked her! She was fiesty and made for some entertaining scenes. HOWEVER, the dialogue felt off between her and Sarah at times. 

Eric--I liked Eric as well, this character felt normal, and interesting, I look forward to getting to know him.

Adam- I hate him. As an author if she was going for creepy, and weird she did a great job. I will be happy to be rid of him...If that wasnt her intention, hm...Im really sorry. 


No comments:

Post a Comment