Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Night to Forget by Jessica Wood


A Night to Forget by Jessica Wood - 2.5 Stars - 3 Stars

A Night To Forget
Synopsis: What happens in Cancun doesn’t always stay in Cancun.
When Emma Anderson and her friends decided to spend their senior year Spring Break in Cancun, she expected some crazy memories to end their final college days. What Emma didn’t expect was to meet Brandon Fisher. Tall and sexy, with dimples that would make any girl swoon, Brandon Fisher was literally the man of Emma’s dreams. She couldn't quite believe that this stranger, who seduced her every night in her dreams, actually existed.
After serendipitously bumping into each other, Emma could not resist Brandon’s pull and spent an unforgettable night with him. Passing it off as a spring break fling, Emma never expected to see Brandon again. But when she started her first day at her new job a few months later, there he was. The only problem was, Brandon didn’t even remember her.


Overall- Im really conflicted over this book, which is one of the reasons I have taken so long to write this review. Part of me really liked this book, and part of me was really annoyed. I think the plot line is intriguing and interesting, and I found myself enjoying the book. I also really liked that it was a nice easy read, I got through it in one sitting. What I didnt like, well first I think its REALLY weird that she would be dreaming about this guy, and then randomly bump into him in cancun. If there was an explanation as to how she got his image in her mind then maybe Id understand. 
.Additionally, I felt like I didnt learn enough about the main character, there was the constant reminder of her mom, but I still have no clue what happened. I did finally find out about her freshman year, at the end, but that one was more obvious. 
Also, some of the internal explanations were odd, such as Im not sure why I need to know that she over baked her brownies, for a bake sale that isnt even shown. I felt like some scenes were overplayed for no reason and that the book in the end was too short. Leaving it at a cliff hanger now that Im invested will get me to read the 2nd book, but I would have preferred the two be together and that some of the issues in the first book be dialed back. 
Now, needless of some editing problems (and by editing I dont mean grammatical I mean content) I actually still enjoyed the book. I found her friendships to be really amazing, and most of the book to be somewhat realistic. (aside from the dream issue, it kind of was!) I also really enjoyed the main character. 
One of the plush and private beds at Nikki Beach, a Miami Beach hotspot

Cover: intriguing and sexy 
Rating: PG13 
Overall: Fairly good. 
Characters: 
Page Turner: No 
Series Cont.? Yes (2 part series)
Recommend: If youre looking for an easy and short beach read
Book Boyfriend: not sure yet...
Genre: New Adult
Sex Scenes: Yes
Setting: California, College and Post College 

Plot- The plot is really what got me in this one! I loved the idea. The mystery guy, the swanky vacation trip, the friends. Additionally, I felt that the pace for this novel was good, things didnt move too slow or too quickly. The author actually provided time frame and put in gaps. Which  I can appreciate in a love story. There were instances where the timing felt off, like she skipped too far without a transition, but for the most part, the plot and pace were great. I felt the realism also throughout the book, (mostly, aside from the gripes above mainly about the dream), for instance, when at her new job, it makes sense to not say anything to anyone, since you are new and you dont want to be the weird new girl...I felt like the emotions were also very real. Emmas reactions to the different pieces were how I would have reacted or felt.  I think the biggest issue with this novel, is there is a lack of build up in the relationship. I dont quite understand how they fell for each other. Nonetheless, I let go of reality for the day and it was a fairly good feel good book, but watch out there is a cliffhanger.

Blake Lively as Emma
Characters-
While I like Emma, I found her relatable, and somewhat interesting (based on the plot more than the character) I also feel like there is so much more to her, that as the reader I wasn't learning as I read. In fact, Im still confused about her past and some of the events that occurred, like her dreams. I did appreciate the realism of the rest of the story and plot, the way things played out at her new job, her reactions and emotions, her rationality, it all made sense to me. Which I enjoyed. But I also felt like she could have been stronger and grown more throughout the novel. I felt like I didnt get to know her as well as I should have.
cam gigandet holy moly he is beautiful
Cam Gadget as Brandon

Brandon, hm. Where to start with him. Honestly, I didnt like his character that much. At first I did, in Cancun I loved him, I thought "wow. he is sexy and charming!" But then as the novel went on, I found myself confused by his actions. Now granted the story is told from Emmas point of view, so I recognized that he probably had his reasons. But I was still confused by his behavior and their relationship, and how that all came to be, I would have liked it to be a bit more fleshed out. I honestly feel like I dont know anything about Brandon, other than he is hot, and sexy, and successful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment