Saturday, May 17, 2014

Curse Breakers

Curse Breakers by Denise Grover Swank - 4 STARS

Synopsis--For more than four hundred years, the Curse Keepers guarded the barrier between the human and spirit realms. All that changed the day Ellie Lancaster met Collin Dailey. Prophecy demanded they defend the world from evil…even as it ignited a passion that threatened to consume them both.
Now Ellie faces a frightening new life, abandoned by the man she loves and tormented by malevolent spirits unleashing their vengeance upon the earth. Her only shot at protecting humanity—and herself—from the demon scourge is to claim the mark of the god Ahone as her own. Finding it means trusting Dr. David Preston, a handsome professor of Native American studies whose skepticism is surpassed only by his attraction to Ellie. Together they must finish what the Curse Keepers began, defying the forces of darkness to face hell on earth—and unlock the truth of Ellie’s destiny.
Overall: Adventurous and Romantic Fun!
Characters:  Collin, Ellie and David
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Book Boyfriend: David
Genre: Paranormal Adventure and New Adult Romance. 
Sex Scenes: Yes
Setting Virginia

Overall --
The second book in the Curse Keeper Trilogy really took me for a spin! As usual, I couldn't put down Ms. Grover's book. I was addicted. I enjoyed the second installment as I knew I would. It had everything, romance, adventure, paranormal/sci-fi elements. Everything written by Grover always has a point, no piece is unnecessary, and her writing is truly enjoyable and admirable. 

We pick up right where we left off from book 1. Grover does a great job of integrating what happened in book 1 smoothly into book 2 in case you forget what happened when you pick up book 3. 

Ellie is still a firecracker, but we see her quite a bit more vulnerable in this installment. After her dad has sacrificed himself, Ellie struggles with figuring out not only who she is, but who she is supposed to become, all the while trying to remain alive. Ellie is a woman with a mission, but with a broken heart and a near broken soul. Her connection with Colin is still very prevalent and you see her struggle with coming to terms with their relationship and connection and his betrayal. Im actually surprised though by the way things turned out at the end of this installment, Im none too pleased I might add.  Ellie, while always independent is fighting even harder now to distance herself from those around her, and unfortunately for her, she somehow always manages to attract more attention. 
Andrew Stetson
Collin

I admit the soul issue was a bit confusing and annoying at times, I felt the pacing was a bit slow at times, perhaps to give the characters more time to connect and build; generally though I got the feeling the book was drawn out for the third book. 

I enjoyed following Ellie on her escapades, but thought she was sometimes reckless, with her own life and with Davids sometimes. And while I liked David, his introduction into the book was great, I really wanted to root for Colin. I wanted more of him, more time with him, and more time for him to redeem himself for his prior bad acts. I think David was a great addition, but I was disappointed that I didn't get more of Colin, and I hope a love interest is introduced so there is a HEA for everyone! 

This installment had it all adventure, action, romance, mystery....I wasn't blown away, but I was hanging on to the edge of my seat and I CANNOT wait for the final book to come out!  


What I didn't Like

I gotta say, much like Grover's other paranormal book, this one CAN be a bit confusing. And confusing to the point where I simply don't understand parts of the book. I am usually pretty good at following along. But every once in a while, in this book, I felt lost, confused or that the explanation provided left me a bit short of a full understanding. BUT generally, I didn't mind it. What I REALLY disliked was David Preston's character. I mean, I like him, but I don't. Its one of those things where the character itself is well written and a necessary character, but his role, is one I was less than happy with because of my liking to Collin. But who knows, maybe the next book will make me happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment