Saturday, May 10, 2014

Anathema

Anathema by KA Tucker- 4 STARS

Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)Synopsis
Evangeline has spent her teenage years in obscurity. Her foster parents have the emotional aptitude of robots and her classmates barely acknowledge her existence. About to turn eighteen and feeling like a social pariah, she is desperate to connect with someone. Anyone.
When Evangeline meets Sophie after literally stumbling upon her cafĂ©, she believes she’s found that connection. Willing to do anything to keep it, she accepts a job as Sofie’s assistant and drops everything to fly to Manhattan, where she is thrust into a luxurious world of Prada, diamonds, and limitless cash. 
With such generosity and kindness, it’s easy for Evangeline to dismiss certain oddities... like Sofie’s erratic and sometimes violent behavior, and the monstrous guard dogs. She’s even willing to dismiss her vivid dreams of mob-style murders, beautiful homeless people living in caves, and white-eyed demons that haunt her each night as figments of her imagination—especially when one of those figments is the gorgeous Caden. When she wakes up with bite marks on her neck, the fairy tale quickly turns into a nightmare. She slowly unravels the mystery surrounding Sofie and friends, and the reality of the bites and the “dreams.” What she discovers is far more mysterious and terrible than anything she could have imagined. 
Brianna Brown - Google Search
Sofie - Brianna Brown 
In a world where everyone has motive to lie for personal gain, Evangeline must decide which deception is least likely to get her killed

Cover- Attractive  
Page Turner: Yes, eventually. 
Series Cont.? Yes (3 more)
Recommend if You Like...
Book Boyfriend: Caden
Genre: Paranormal New Adult 
Sex Scenes: Nope 
Setting - New York City And unknown location 

Overall-

sexy men
Caden
Sheesh!! Why didnt anyone tell me to read this sooner?! I got this as an Amazon Freebie and it sat on my Kindle for AGES before I finally decided to read it. I don't know, something about the synopsis was off putting. I tried starting it a few times, but couldn't get past the first chapter, but finally I dove in. And Boy am I happy I listened to all the reviews!!! This was an amazing book! And I don't expect anything but from KA Tucker.

First and foremost, I HIGHLY recommend this series if you like KA Tucker or paranormal romance. There are witches, vampires, werewolves and so much more with a lot of delectable moments….BUT I will warn you, it takes a little time to get into this one. The plot is great, with LOTS of twists and turns and surprises. But I won't lie, I absolutely hated the beginning of this book. Unfortunately, the first few chapters are extremely awkward, uncomfortable or generally utterly unbelievable. Now based on the synopsis, I was expecting this, to an extent, but I also didnt know what I was getting into, so Im left a little frustrated and confused. I continued reading though, knowing that it must get better and Im glad I stuck with it. After the first few chapters it became AMAZING! I couldn't stop reading this book. Thrown into this world with this gang of people with so much going on it was sometimes hard to keep up!! But I was more than happy with it.
Evangeline

I loved the way KA Tucker developed her characters. I never knew what to expect, who's allegiance was an honest one, who was really telling the truth, who should Evangeline trust?! I couldn't decide if Caden was good or bad, and I certainly didn't expect that ending!!! I like that as the narrator I get to see and hear what Evangeline is going through, coming from her own broken past and then dealing with the fall out of something out of her own control, falling in love and learning the ropes of what family and friendship really mean…it was really fun.

Through Evangeline, I fell for Caden, in my eyes he seemed so sincere, and beautiful. He seemed the most honest and I appreciated the difficulty that Evangeline went through to understand whether her feelings for him were true, and the risks that she takes for him.

This plot had so much going on, it was hard to not only keep up but to figure out the truth. Sometimes that can be annoying, but I think KA Tucker really made it work. She always gave enough information, that I felt satisfied, and always explained things properly and in detail so that I could understand the crazy information. I love her writing style, it was easy to get wrapped up in her world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment