Monday, April 21, 2014

Loving Your Lies

Loving Your Lies by Piper Shelly - 2 STARS 

Loving Your LiesSynopsis-Julian is drop-dead gorgeous, annoyingly provocative, and he's fast becoming her best friend. But he also has a secret that makes the little hairs on her arms stand on end...
My name is Jona Montiniere, and that’s pretty much the only good thing to say about me. 
I’m seventeen, I’m snarky, and I’m a crap-load of trouble. Or so they say. But what did they expect from me really, when they dumped me in an orphanage at age five? That I’d grow up to become the new first lady? Nah, I think it’s much more fun to raid Camden Market in London with my friend, Debby. She’s cool. She lives on the street. I learned so much from her. 
The only thing she missed to teach me was how to tend to a vineyard. And yeah, that’s what I’m going to do for the next 6 weeks, courtesy to this darn judge, who sent me off to France after I was caught stealing again. Fair enough, the vineyards are okay, and so are my aunt and uncle, who I haven’t met up ‘til now. What isn’t okay, and I mean it, is that I have to live in the same house with my mother, that god-awful dragon, who spurned when I was only a child. And now she wants me back? Demands my forgiveness? Why, because she’s about to die of cancer? Uh-uh. Sorry, but that’s not gonna happen. I want no contact with that woman, thanks. 
But what’s Julian got to do with all of this? About my age, he’s too young to be my mother’s lover. So why doesn’t he leave her side? Ever. He’s different, as in the paranormal kind of different, but he’s sa-woon-worthy gorgeous. He obviously has secrets, but he’s also get-under-my-skin charming. In short, he’s a riddle to me. But he likes me, and that’s scaring the shit out of me. I sure won’t let anyone come too close. 
So now I'm wondering only two things: How did he manage to hold me in his arms after only three days? And how the hell do you keep an angel earth bound?(less)
Overall-
The plot of this story seemed very intriguing, and mysterious. Im a big fan of angels. But unfortunately I feel really let down after this one. I loved Jona and her voice, as I could relate to her. Her background made me understand her and gave her reasoning for acting so intolerable. However, her attitude was overblown, and over dramatic for too much of the story.  I would have liked to see her open up a bit more and really change as a "person." I enjoyed Julian's character however I never once felt connected to him or that he was connected with Jona, not really.  In the end I have a lot more dislikes than I do likes, which is why I gave it a two, I REALLY wanted to like this, I just couldnt. 

I think the general story was actually pretty good. But, the end result missed the mark a little. 

First, the book was WAY too descriptive given the nature of the book (i.e. its a mature young adult novel set in france current time, not some other universe or world). I ended up skimming a lot of the details because they seemed so irrelevant to the story. 
Second, Jona's antics got old, and so did her negative nancy tone. I could only read so much over dramatic angst. Dont get me wrong I love angst (see other postings) but at some point there needs to be a reprieve where I see the softer side and I see the characters change because of their affections for one another etc...that just didnt happen here. I didnt really feel anything between the characters. I saw Jona fall for Julian but didnt understand their love at all. 


Phoebe TonkinThird, I dont understand what Julian sees in Jona and its NEVER explained. I honestly dont understand why or how Julian fell for Jona. None of their interactions make a whole lot of sense to me. I get that Julian wants to help Jona make amends with her mother, but thats where it ends for me. I didnt really FEEL their love or their chemistry. 


It took a lot of energy out of me to read this book, and I dont say that lightly. I will say though, Im glad I finished. I think the ending is what made up for some of the other lack luster moments in this novel. I really enjoyed that part. 

FINAL VERDICT- NOT FOR ME. 

No comments:

Post a Comment