Sunday, November 17, 2013

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor 3.5 STARS

What I Didn't SaySynopsis: Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat. His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again. When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn't the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it.

Overall- I really enjoyed reading this book. As a huge fan of Keary Taylor, I was not let down by this young adult romance with an emotional story surrounding all the characters. The great thing about this book, is that the emotional aspect of the book didnt bring the characters down like it could have, yet those thoughts and feelings were expressed and shown throughout. Every character was given a voice, and background, and I never once thought there was a pointless moment or scene. Every moment was given a purpose by the author and thats always appreciated. This story isnt one many think they will ever have to experience on their own, I was able to relate,  though I admit, I cant quite imagine what the true emotions one would go through to never be able to speak again, and to lose someone at such a young age. I truly loved the love story between Sam and Jake and found that their story was genuine, and beautiful. This was a great read! 


Cover: Pretty 
Rating: PG
Overall: Wonderfully written and beautifully inspiring
Characters: Jake, Sam, Rain, Jordan, Carter
Page Turner:  Not really
Series Cont.? No
Recommend: YES
Book Boyfriend: Jake
Genre: Young Adult 
Sex Scenes: No
Setting: Orcas Island in WA 


Matt Grevers (team usa swimmer) His eyes!
Jake
Plot--The plot was so interesting. Not a book I typically would have picked up, but because I like Keary Taylor I gave it a chance, and I was not let down. The pace of the story was perfect. There wasnt a moment where it "dragged" or should have slowed down. The style of writing was beautiful as usual, and is what draws the reader in, I was really intrigued into the characters and where they were going with the hands they were dealt and thats what kept me reading. I was invested in their emotional rollercoaster and that style is hard to do in a book like this, where the plot isnt action packed, but instead emotionally driven with a lot of difficult situations. What really struck me though is that these characters all persevered through so much, it would have been easy to give up and each one continued to make the best of their situation. It was beautiful too how a community can come together so nicely I can only hope to have such a great family and community in my future 


Characters-
Jake- what a sweetheart. Jake is such a wonderful guy, he is far more a man than many at his age, he was able to take the high road and he learned many of lessons at a young age, but never gave up. I think what helped him the most was his family, though I do wonder what would have happened if he hadnt had such a strong familial backing, but he is a such an amazing character, a lover, a dreamer, a survivor, a fighter, hes the kind of guy every girl dreams of finding. 
What I didnt Say Sam?
Sara Paxton as Sam

Sam- She is such an interesting vharacter, talk about never giving up on your dreams. Her strength was undeniable and so impressive. I do not know many people who could have done what she did, if any. She was undeniably brilliant and beautiful, she was charming and an amazing fighter. I really enjoyed getting to know her and her character throughout the book. I loved seeing her relationship with Jake grow over time, the way real relationships should, and that even when she was kicked she didnt let it keep her down. She is a character to look up to and I wish she were real, because I would definitely want to be her friend!

Everyone Else- I feel like I should mention that all the characters in the book were quite impressive. I loved this small town, and now I want to live there. The family is amazing, they are strong and willing to do whatever they can to make their family survive the issues that are given to them. I especially loved Jordan and Mom they were such amazing characters! Especially Mom. I also enjoyed getting to know Carter and Rain, the fact that we were able to see the difficulty that they had with what happened to Jake, but Im glad guilt didnt ruin their relationships and that everyone managed to work through the hard times that had come to them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment