Friday, November 29, 2013

Almost Girl by Amalie Howard

Almost Girl by Amalie Howard - 5 STARS

The Almost Girl
Synopsis-  Seventeen-year-old Riven is as tough as they come. Coming from a world ravaged by a devastating android war, she has to be. There’s no room for softness, no room for emotion, no room for mistakes. A Legion General, she is the right hand of the young Prince of Neospes, a parallel universe to Earth. In Neospes, she has everything: rank, responsibility and respect. But when Prince Cale sends her away to find his long-lost brother, Caden, who has been spirited back to modern day Earth, Riven finds herself in uncharted territory.  Thrown out of her comfort zone but with the mindset of a soldier, Riven has to learn how to be a girl in a realm that is the opposite of what she knows. Riven isn’t prepared for the beauty of a world that is unlike her own in so many ways. Nor is she prepared to feel something more than indifference for the very target she seeks. Caden is nothing like Cale, but he makes something in her come alive, igniting a spark deep down that goes against every cell in her body. For the first time in her life, Riven isn’t sure about her purpose, about her calling. Torn between duty and desire, she must decide whether Caden is simply a target or whether he is something more. Faced with hideous reanimated Vector soldiers from her own world with agendas of their own, as well as an unexpected reunion with a sister who despises her, it is a race against time to bring Caden back to Neospes. But things aren’t always as they seem, and Riven will have to search for truth. Family betrayals and royal coups are only the tip of the iceberg. Will Riven be able to find the strength to defy her very nature? Or will she become the monstrous soldier she was designed to be?
*Received an ARC From Netgalley in exchange for honest review. 


Neospes
Neopes
Overall- This is by far one of my favorite books of the year! I was completely surprised with how much I loved this book. I wasn't quite sure based on the synopsis whether I would like this one, but from the moment I started until I finished I was mesmerized completely. I was fully enthralled into this world and the characters within. It reminded me of other books that I've read, but combined a lot of different characteristics to form one amazing book. I will say I could have done without a sequel, but I am sure it ail be amazing!! LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! 
couple kissing on bed - Google Search I love the action-adventure-mystery-sci fi and romance. Everything is kind of thrown into the mix and Howard somehow pulled it all off and did so with great imagination, creativity and ease! She made writing look easy. I was blown away by this book. What sets this book apart from the others, is that you never once feel like you're missing something. A lot of times when reading these types of books its so obvious that the author is hiding information from the reader to continue the plot, but instead, I don't feel like Im missing anything I feel like Im figuring it all out along with Riven. Although, to be honest, in the beginning it was a little confusing, but I think it gets cleared up pretty quickly, and its mainly to draw the reader in initially. By the end of the book, I found myself disappointed that it had to end. This is definitely a book I recommend to anyone that likes dystopia/science fiction books. I also think it would make an awesome TV show or movie. 
Suit concept by Bro-Bot
Vector

Cover- Mesmerizing! 
Rating: PG-13
Overall: PHENOMENAL
Characters:  Riven; Cale; Caden; Shea
Page Turner: YES
Series Cont.? Yes (2) 
Recommend if You Like...Tandem; Unraveling; when the world was flat (and we were in love) moon dwellers; dissever; Forsaken; Daynight; partials
Book Boyfriend: Caden
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian Science Fiction 
Sex Scenes: No
Setting - Colorado High-school; alternate universe Neospes
.
Underground tunnels

Plot--The plot seems confusing, and it kind of is, because it has a lot of pieces, and points, but as the reader, I didn't feel confused and the book flowed flawlessly. Each word, sentence, scene had such a special purpose in moving the characters or the plot forward. Howards writing abilities amaze me. I was completely transfixed on this world and felt as though I were emerged and living in it with the characters. Her world building and pacing seemed completely on point. The only time I grew annoyed was when Riven took clothes from a nearby house and then met Caden back at school. That scene felt awkward and misplaced, even though it had a purpose, that purpose could have been met in a different way. Overall I really liked the different twists and turns that took place, there was plenty of action and adventure throughout the book (more so than many in this like genre) and I was completely shocked by the way everything turned out.  I really recommend this book to all those who like the dystopian/young adult/science fiction category. 
almost girl

Characters--

Matt Lanter♥ - matt-lanter Photo
Matt Lanter as Caden/Cale 
Caden-  Aw. I love him! I loved seeing his growth. (Although, in hindsight, I admit that his characters development was not seen as strongly as the others, which was disappointing, I would have loved to have been inside his brain at certain times!) I liked Caden from the beginning, where he started off so juvenile and naive, completely thrown off by the strange events and people. He never once though let his guard down, he was strong and caring, and that never changed. I think over the course of the book, the reader can tell that his feelings for Riven have become stronger, and that he himself, as he understands his surroundings has become more of a man. He impressed me. I also liked that he never really appeared weak, or dumb. I think the author did a great job of creating her characters and providing what felt like genuine and sincere feelings and interactions. 
Marie Avgeropoulos - Google Search
Marie Avgeropoulos as Riven

Riven- A soldier first and foremost. But I loved Riven. I found her voice extremely interesting and her development and change over the course of the book was truly amazing. Not because of the changes exactly, but because the author managed to write her story and her character so beautifully. Riven was strong, but didn't trust anyone. She wouldn't let anyone into her heart, or her head because where she was from that was the norm. Thats all she knew, yet somehow Caden managed to weasel his way in without even trying (not really, but still!) I loved seeing her slowly change, and become such a courageous and strong woman, between fighting and love she managed to also find herself and accept herself. She was quite the warrior and quite the friend. I look forward to her next adventure in Book 2! 
Abbie Cornish The Almost Girl
Shae- Abbie Cornish

Shea- I liked Shea. I really wished we could have gotten to know her better, but I found her character interesting. I wanted more background on her, her past, where she came from etc. even though some of those things came with time, and throughout the course of the book, I still wanted more. She was strong willed and passionate, a fighter and a lover at heart, never giving up on the cause or those she cares about. 




No comments:

Post a Comment