Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris 4.5 Stars 

Unraveling (Unraveling, #1)

SynopsisSixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.
And that was before she died...and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet.



Cover: Striking
Rating: PG
Overall: Pretty Good 
Characters:  Janelle 
Page Turner:  YES
Series Cont.?  Yep
Recommend: YES
Book Boyfriend: Ben
Genre: Young Adult / Sci Fi
Sex Scenes: NOPE
Setting: San Diego High School

Janelle

Overall- Wow. I really enjoyed this book. It was gripping, intense, and so beautiful written. The author's prose was perfect for me. While I really really liked this book, there is something keeping me from giving it 5 stars, I cant quite put my finger on it. This book reminds me of Veronica Mars mixed with Roswell. What I liked about this book was the mystery and the characters, I loved VEronica Mars and Roswell, so its not surprise that I really like Janelle who happens to be a mix of the two main girls. What I didnt like about the book, it felt like I'd already read it. Now that didnt stop me from buying the second book, or liking this one. I think most people have difficulty separating the book as a stand alone piece of work when they see similarities, which is sad. At the end of the day, I think it was a very good book, that kept me interested entertained and following of the seat of my chair!

Elijah
Alex
Barclay
Plot- The plot was great! I really enjoyed this book. Even though the plot was so reminiscent of other books Ive read, I like the twist this one had, it really set the book apart. I also liked the choices the author made. Sometimes, the hardest decisions can really make a book, who dies, who lives, whos good whos bad, these decisions seem so simple, but in the long run, really make the book that much better or leave it in the stack with the rest of the okay books. I also really loved the way the book ended, it had finality with a hint of a future book, leaving me with the feeling that the characters can continue in a new book, without feeling forced, but also provides a good ending point in case I dont ever get to the next book. The plot here moved at a good pace, I was really interested in figuring it all out, with the rest of the people in the book, and the fact that things ended the way they did, made it that much better.

Characters- When I read this book, I immediately felt the similarities to TV show Roswell. One of the best! It also reminds me of some of the other sci-fi shows Ive seen but Roswell the most. And therefore it is only natural that I imagine the characters looking similar, but after quite a bit of thinking I finally found my cast. What I liked most about these characters was that all the characters melded together in a natural way. Some people didnt get along, some did, some had a connection, some died, etc. I liked that they each had their flaws too. But I absolutely loved Janelles character. Her character was perfect to me. She was kind but bitchy, her attitude reminded me of my younger self and I found myself laughing out loud to her sarcasm and inner monologues. this book was awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment