Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Mirror X

Mirror X (The Van Winkle Project, #1)Mirror X By Karri Thompson 3.5 STARS 

Synopsis--I was born more than a thousand years ago.
Put into a cryogenic tube at age seventeen, forgotten during a holocaust that decimated the world, I've finally been awakened to a more serene and peaceful future.
But things at the hospital are new and strange. And it’s starting to scare me.
Everyone is young. Everyone is banded and tracked. And everyone is keeping secrets.
The cute geneticist Michael Bennett might be the only good thing in this crazy new world where “life is precious” but no one seems free to live it. The problem is, I don’t think he’s being totally honest with me, either.
When I’m told only I can save the human race from extinction, it’s clear my freeze didn’t avoid a dreadful fate. It only delayed the horror…

*Received a copy from net galley for an honest review. 
Overall: Interesting young adult adventure, futuristic dystopian 
Characters: Michael, Cassie
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Book Boyfriend: Michael
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Sex Scenes: Nope
Setting The future...
recommend if you like...the twenty, aberrant, across the universe 

Overall
This book started right out of the gate intensely. Cassie wakes up from a coma after a helicopter crash 1000 years into the future! Holy Moly! I was unsure of how far the author would be taking this story line, and was pleasantly surprised that she wasn't afraid to make certain events occur. Anytime a book has previously dealt with fertility, nothing ever got anywhere or gained ground with the main character, but here its completely different. The entire story line, so very different than anything I was expecting based on my other reads. This was more about a girl who is thrown into a new world and faces off all kind of strange, and at times innovative technology,  nothing is as it seems and no one seems to be trustworthy. 

Even I had trouble deciding who I liked. It was easy to know who to hate, but who to trust...I can't imagine being in her situation, any single part of it. With technology as it is now, imagine waking up 1000 years in the future, nothing is as it was nor as it seems, you're alone in a world full of other people who know nothing about the world you came from or about the people you lived with. Its terrifying. Even if you woke up alone in a hospital here, with no memory or family, you're better off, because you likely recognize your surroundings, or are familiar with the way the world is. Thats why this is so crazy. 

This book stands out from all the others in more than one way, first it deals with issues that many of us today worry about, privacy, fertility, concerns about the government, upcoming medical fears. Bringing all our worst fears to the forefront. The moral dilemma and the timing throughout this book, make it all that more interesting.  I admit, that even though I enjoyed this new take on the issues, but it was not a perfect. I was frustrated with the doctors and the government and found some of their actions to be a little too ridiculous. But in the end the book was truly interesting and a great new reader for futuristic dystopian lovers. 

Characters -
Cassie--The author did a great job of making Cassie realistic. Sure the plot line may be a little, out there, but then again what book isn't these days. Nonetheless, Cassie is very real. She is not fearless, she is not stupid, but she is overwhelmed, confused, honest, yet reluctant. She has trouble believing the truth and reality yet, she describes the reasons for why so well that it is easy to feel for her and feel as though you are with her, as a fly on the wall. 

Considering the government is consistently hiding something, from her and society she has every right to distrust them. But her relationship with Michael is certainly curious. I couldn't decide whether to trust him or not. But Cassie consistently surprised me with her behavior, she was diligent and careful, she was honest and understanding but tried to figure things out, smartly. I liked her fierceness and her determination, her strong will. 

 I thought her relationship with Travel was curious as well. More so than Michael. In all honesty this is part of the reason for a lower rating. I felt like the relationship with Travel was not built enough. She just seemed to take the relationship without thought or care, she didnt contemplate it that much, and even though she was upset with the end result, I struggled to understand the strong connection. I do thing that the government plan that went with Travel, before and after, was REALLY intriguing, but wish a relationship had been better built and his character more defined, rather than seeming like a stepping stone. 

Michael-
I liked Michael from the start.. He seemed to be charming, but also intelligent and considerate.  I liked that his character was built up throughout the book, and had me guessing consistently, I couldn't decide if he was good or bad. Though finally in the end I was able to decide! I like his role to Cassie which was more than just her doctor, or potential donor, he was someone that she wanted to trust and he really wanted to get to know her, become close with her, though the reason isn't really known until the end. His purpose throughout the book is pretty clear, but its interesting and I look forward to seeing where he goes from here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment