Tuesday, February 11, 2014

ARV-3

ARV-3 by Cameo Renae --3 STARS

ARV-3Synopsis-
The beginning of the end. The Apocalypse.
A nuclear fallout wiped out every living thing on the planet, except for a few thousand of us who took shelter in underground bunkers across the globe. Now, after thirteen long years, we were finally able to return to the topside to begin to rebuild.
We thought we were alone. We were never more wrong.
Before the fallout, scientists had worked on creating an anti-radiation vaccine (ARV). The first two attempts failed, but despite the incomplete tests and results, the government approved and distributed the third serum to the masses in an effort to aid those who had no shelter.
It worked, keeping those who remained on the topside alive, but it also altered and mutated them. This new and infectious threat had completely outnumbered us. Now, we not only had to rebuild our planet. We would have to fight for it.
My name is Abigail Park. I'm seventeen, and this is my story.
*Received an ARC from net galley in exchange for honest review
Crystal Reed
Crystal Reed- Abi

Overall-
The general plot of this book was pretty interesting. I must admit though, it reminded me a lot of zombies (though the author repeatedly states these are not zombies because they aren't dead…to me they are zombies). I don't really do the whole zombie type thing, BUT I kept on because I really liked Finn and Abi. (More Finn than Abi)
Kayne Lawton. Australian rugby player.
Kayne Lawton- Finn

The world building was immediate, a synopsis of what happened was provided in the prologue and not generally learned throughout the book. Which I suppose is fine, especially for younger readers. I was intrigued from the beginning as to where the book would go, but felt it was too simplistic for the first half of the book. Abi's bond with her hive was really special and I enjoyed the true sense of duty and loyalty they had to one another.

As the group ventured topside I was really interested in hearing what everything looked like, but was slightly let down. I was surprised though by what the creatures looked liked and their behavior. The idea that they aren't brainless is interesting…the whole plot of what are these creatures are and how they think is really the interesting part of the story.

I must say though, I kept wondering the whole time what the true plot of the book was, I couldn't figure out where we were going. I figured the book was about getting to a safe zone, surviving, but that wasn't it. While generally the other plot point of the book, the government, is interesting, it took quite a bit of build up to get to this part, and it felt really slow. There were some great action scenes, and parts between Abi and Finn that I really enjoyed but overall the book fell a little flat for me. I must say though, part of why I feel this way is that the book may be a little young for me, though there are some "make-out scenes."
arv-3
I think overall though, even though there are holes and issues, I found I still enjoyed the book, the loyalty of the hive, Finn and Abi, Abi and Tina, I enjoyed a lot about these characters. Even though the book was slow, I also recognize that in order to build a series there has to be some building to the story to set up the others, and this book did seem to set up the next one, and the issues that the hive will face with the Arvys and the government. I will keep the next one on my TBR list as I am interested in seeing how they will defeat their enemies.

FINAL DECISION- READ IF YOU LIKE YOUNG ADULT DYSTOPIAN/ZOMBIE-LIKE 

No comments:

Post a Comment