Saturday, December 7, 2013

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare 3 STARS

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)Synopsis--When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know… 

*Since this is already a movie, I will not be doing my own casting, or additional photos. 


Overall- I admit it. I saw the movie before I read the book. Perhaps that is why I didn't like it. It could also be that I felt that I was more confused after reading the book than I was after the movie (which I hear from other people should be the opposite!) I don't know, but this book just didn't do it for me. It could be the kicker at the end. Maybe I just couldn't take the idea of what transpired being in a book. (which is my guess) I think what the author did in this book overall was amazing. So intense and gripping, imaginative and creative. A world so completely different from the one we know, yet completely within our own world, we just can't see it. Its brilliant. Really the plot and story line in general are truly interesting, intriguing and gripping. While this book can be somewhat dark and intense, its also about self discovery, and sometimes those things come with it. Had the ending in the book been different, and the next books not so focused on the ending issue, I might have considered reading the other books. But for me, the ending (or part of rather) really killed any interest I have in reading future books in this series. Which is disappointing because they are interesting. (So instead I Wikapedia'ed it so I could find out what happens) I think this is a great book/series for people who love the underworld, and quite frankly, had it not ended the way it did, I would have given the book a much higher rating, but I just simply cannot fathom why an author of YA would add such a distracting and horrid side plot/story. 


Cover --Dark and Interesting 

Rating: PG 13 
Overall: Decent Read 
Characters: 
Page Turner: sometimes
Series Cont.? yes
Book Boyfriend: 
Genre: young adult action adventure sic-fi
Sex Scenes: no
Setting New York

Plot-- City of Bones follows Clary as she tries to track down her missing mother after discovering that there is an underworld living amongst the living while residing in NYC. During her adventure she certainly meets her fair share of friends and enemies and each story is intriguing and interesting in and of itself. I found the general plot line and storyline to be really interesting and intriguing. Im not big on the underworld but I'd heard great things about this book, and author and considering it was being made into a movie I figured why not?! I was not disappointed with the action adventure and romance throughout the book. 

What did disappoint me? It was long and at times slow. It was also painfully descriptive at times. The world building was amazing yes. But at what point do you stop world building and focus on the story? It felt like the author simply continued to build the world around her characters, detailing rooms, yet leaving me confused by the various terms used interchangeably and the mass amount of characters coming and going. I had a hard time following in the end, which felt like a jumbled mess. In this instance I was thankful to have seen the movie because I at least had a picture to go off of. I also became irritated with the love triangle romance. Especially in the end (and when I read what happens in future books!) By the time I finished the book, while impressed, I decided that this is not the right fit for me, but it makes complete sense why others love it. Rating a book like this is hard. Because objectively speaking I see why others like it, personally speaking though, there were only aspects of it that I liked. 

Characters --

Clary--I liked Clary, I liked that she had fire and passion, that she was selfless and caring. Overall her character was extremely likable, and relatable (in the sense of personality not experience, obviously) She was kind hearted and strong willed, determined to get to the bottom of everything. I can't say she truly developed during the novel, because Im not really sure she did. She started off this way, and just got stronger, more confident, a true heroine. I liked her tension and romance with Jace and found their interactions to be sweet and cute, and really enjoyed their scenes. 

Jace --I LOVED the character. ( the actor did a good job of portraying this character, I thought) I like Jace because he doesn't take like too seriously yet he knows when to get down to business. He knows how to be the romantic, and when to be the friend or counselor. His sense of humor was what I loved the most though. I feel the same about his as I do Clary though, there wasn't a whole lot of growth in this book, though he did seem to become a little more humble. 


Simon -- OH Simon! I liked him and I loathe him. I love him because he provides doe good jokes and helps move the plot along, but I loathe him because sometimes he is a nuisance and annoying. He serves his purpose but I kind of wish he would have gone away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment