Friday, August 23, 2013

Perception By Lee Strauss

Perception by Lee Strauss 4 STARS

Perception (Perception, #1) Synopsis: Eternal Life is To Die For.
Seventeen year old Zoe Vanderveen is a GAP—a genetically altered person. She lives in the security of a walled city on prime water-front property along-side other equally beautiful people with extended life spans. Her brother Liam is missing.
Noah Brody is a natural who lives on the outside. He leads protests against the GAPs and detests the widening chasm they’ve created between those who have and those who don’t. He doesn’t like girls like Zoe and he has good reason not to like her specifically.
Zoe’s carefree life takes a traumatic turn. She’s in trouble and it turns out that Noah, the last guy on earth she should trust, is the only one who can help her. PERCEPTION is a (SF/mystery/romance) Young Adult novel that takes place in the not-too-distant future in a world changed by climate extremes, natural disasters and impending wars, and where scientific breakthroughs cause class divisions—both financially and philosophically. It explores the clash between faith and science and how differences can separate us as enemies or ally us together. And in some cases, even in the midst of betrayal and personal crisis, there’s room to fall in love.

Overall:
This book took me by surprise. It was one of those books that was recommended to me by Goodreads or Amazon, that I thought, 'hmm. Could be interesting...' then I saw it was for free on Amazon, and I thought, 'Why not?!' And I was NOT disappointed. This was quite the future dystopian young adult book! I fell in love!!! I dont think the title does this book justice, and it certainly doesnt have the hype it should. If you are a fan of young adult dystopian, then this book is for you. If you like futuristic books with lots of action, adventure, and a little romance, you will like this one, especially if you have read books like Found, Evolution, Bane (Eden) and Talented.


Cover: OK
Rating- PG
Characters:   Noah and Zoe mainly. 
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend if You Like...Found, Evolution, The Bane, Talented 
Book Boyfriend: Noah
Genre: Sci-Fi, Futuristic Dystopian 
Sex Scenes: No 
Setting California 

I like that this book starts out with an imaginable future, albeit distant, where genetically altered people exist (meaning your parents pick your physical traits, or they can change their appearance for a cost at a later age) that allows them to be essentially "beautiful" and live longer. They are of course the wealthy people and have their own gated communities. This book focuses on technology and big brother and how this could effect the human race, both the wealthy and the blue collar communities. 

The really interesting part of this book is that the plot is truly intriguing and I was glued to my kindle after the first chapter. The authors ability to world build is amazing. I could literally imagine a world like this, and the surroundings felt normal. I felt as if I was in this world, watching it through Zoe's eyes. I really enjoyed Zoe, her ambition and drive, her curiosity were so interesting, and I wanted to know her, I wanted to follow her story and find out the truth as much as she did. 

I felt the author did a nice job of pacing, providing information as we go, twisting things in the right place so that I wasnt able to pin point exactly what was going on, and I felt the plot point was good, it followed appropriately  nothing felt out of place or that the timing was wrong. I liked the drama that was involved to, and felt that the situations, all things considered, and because its a futuristic book, were pretty real. What I loved about this book though and made it stand out from all the others, is that this is the book that is what brings about the end that you usually read. This is where the technology started, before it took over. I loved that part. I couldnt wait to read the next installment! 

Big Brother is Watching...


Dean Geyer Noah perception
As Noah
Characters
Noah-Well well well...Noah is not your typical bad boy, but he isnt the goody two shoes either. Hes just a boy trying to make it and take care of his family. His story reminds me of the other side of the track love stories. He is responsible and caring, and his story and character develops far beyond this book and my expectations. I like in this book that we get to see Noah from Zoe's perspective for most of the book, until the end when we the POV changes to Noah and we get to see his true feelings and thoughts which are very clear. What I love most about Noah is that once he makes up his mind, he is set, and goes through with his plan and his love. I love his determination and passion, and wish I had my own Noah to save me (as well as put me in peril since as of now I dont need saving...semantics!) 
brittany snow -Zoe Perception
Brittany Snow as Zoe 

Zoe - I loved Zoe. She is so spunky. She reminds a lot of Penny from Found, who I loved. She is fiesty and charasmatic, shes passionate, and determined, and would not half ass things. I think what makes her most interesting though is not just that she is naive, but that she pushes herself to become a knowledgeable person and engaged in the real world and not just the world she was used to. Once her brother died, it was like something inside her snapped, allowing her to see everything around her in color for the first time, whereas it used to be in black and white. She really grows into her own, and even though at times she is reckless, fearless, the author does a great job of showing Zoe grow throughout the book. And of course when the unfortunate and inevitable occur, she, Zoe trusts her inner voice to show her the way when she is unsure. She is so strong, and I loved reading her story. 

There were a few things I didnt care for that are worth noting and kept me from giving it more.

What I didnt like: 
This series  was somewhat religious at times, which I dont care to read about, and felt that the undertones were at times, annoying. 
Political References could also be annoying at times. 
There are references to what could be considered WW2 references, the GAPS tend to be blonde haired and blue eyed while naturals tend to everything else. 


No comments:

Post a Comment