Thursday, January 1, 2015

Play of Light

Play of Light by Debra Doxer 4 STARS

Synopsis
I lived in paradise, and I loved Spencer Pierce. 

At fourteen, my life was perfect. The beach was my playground, and the boy who stole my heart lived just around the corner. But perfect never lasts. In one horrifying moment, I lost it all. My family was destroyed, and the boy I believed in turned his back on me. Paradise became a nightmare.

That was five years ago. Everything changed when we moved from our home by the sea. I’ve changed, and I don’t like who I’ve become. I miss the smiling, carefree beach girl who disappeared that terrible night. I want to find her again. I want to face the people we ran from so long ago. Most of all, I have to face Spencer. So I can prove that when he broke my heart, he didn’t break me.

But when I see him again, Spencer Pierce is no longer the boy from my memories. He’s now a man who could devastate me if I let him. He watches me when he thinks I’m not looking. There’s regret written on his face when he’s near. Each time I see him, my heart aches for what might have been, and I think his does too. How can I convince myself I’m over him when I suspect he never got over me? 

* Netgalley provided an arc exchange for an honest review. 

Overall
Play of Light was an unexpectedly beautiful and touching story about two main characters who test the boundaries of their relationship when it seems there are a number of surrounding circumstances against them, none of which are of their own doing. The author Debra Doxer had an amazing ability to capture her reader from the beginning, weaving a mysterious storyline with a couple destined to be with one another regardless of the hardships. 

I absolutely loved the characters in this book. Every single one of them. Sarah, the main character was a delight to read and get to know. Though she is vulnerable, she is strong, where she is scared, she is determined and through every moment she shows how resilient she is. 

Stories where memories are scattered throughout the novel, piecing the past together for the reader, usually aren't my thing. But Doxer managed to weave these details and moments into the story in a very meticulous and perfect manner. Each memory served such greater purpose, not just to show the connection between Sarah and Spencer, but even the greater mystery, the larger picture. 

The blurb here attracted me, intrigued me, and the more I read the more I had to know what was going to happen, what had happened, and most importantly WHY? I couldn't put this book down. The story of Sarah and Spencer is more than second chance love, it was a touching and beautiful story of two vulnerable people opening their hearts to one another even though everything has been stacked against them. A story about making your own destiny and creating your own path. 

This was definitely one of the best books that I read this read and I recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic story with depth, hope and a little bit of mystery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment